The Rensselaer Plan Aim: Lead in key research domains, applying “science to the common purposes of life” (our historic mission).
- We have strengthened our faculty with over 350 new tenured and tenure-track hires. In total, 85 percent of our faculty is tenured and tenure-track (2016).
- Reduced student/faculty ratio from 18:1 in Fall 1999 to 15:1 in Fall 2011.
- Increased the number of women faculty from 52 to 105 — a 102% increase since 1999.
- Increased the number of underrepresented minority faculty from 52 to 106 — a 104% increase since 1999.
- Appointed 12 constellation faculty.
- Have 49 NSF Career Award recipients as part of the Rensselaer faculty.
- Created Faculty Seed Fund for new research directions.
- Created Faculty Revitalization Fund for research initiation for new faculty research.
- Created Office of Vice President for Research and appointed Vice President of Research as University Officer.
- Appointed Associate Vice President for Research/Physical and Engineering Sciences.
- Appointed Assistant Vice President for Research.
- Defined focal areas in Biotechnology and Information Technology for strategic investment.
- Hired first “world-class constellations” of faculty in Biotechnology, IT, and Physics.
- Filled Future Chips and Tetherless World constellations.
- Partially filled constellations in Biocatalysis and Metabolic Engineering, Biocomputation and Bioinformatics, and Physics, Information Technology, and Entrepreneurship.